Instructions for Advance Parole (EDIT)

Good Sunday! This are the instructions for Advance Parole for educational purposes.  This is just a copy and paste of my previous post, but I felt like it was too hidden, also I have added to the post, now included are sample letters for the program coordinator of UCLA and the professor (located in the other country).  Enjoy! 

After freaking out about my finances, I FINALLY have the money for the Advance Parole document! So I decided that today was the day to start the application.  AP (Advance Parole) for DACA recipients consists of the I-131 and the G-1145 (optional, this one is only to receive email and text updates about the status of your case), depending on your case you have to submit certain information, whether it is educational, work, or humanitarian reasons.  But for the purpose of this blog I am going to talk about the section of educational purposes (doesn’t mean you can’t ask me about the other two).

Example of how to fill this application below (sign in with google,  YOU DO NOT HAVE TO MAKE AN ACCOUNT):

Other resources for you

To download the l-131 and the G-1145 (YOU CANNOT DO IT ONLINE) go to:


1)Letter of your institution or from your abroad program advisor saying who they are, who are you, where are you going, why are you going, and when are you going.  It needs to be an official letter, even better if it has the university’s logo, the writer needs to include who they are, preferably their email.  Also, it needs to have the program’s dates and where you are staying, and it will be good if they list the classes. EXAMPLE BELOW:

2)Letter of the professor or professors from the school you are trying to travel abroad (ex. the Italian professor from Italy).  Just politely asked them to write the letter with the same information listed above. EXAMPLE BELOW:

3) Offcial transcripts from your university, in most cases, abroad classes will not be included in your official transcripts, but they just prove that you are enrolled in a credible school. (If not available, is ok, this is just extra evidence)

4) A flyer of the program or print it from the study abroad page of your school, it needs to include where you are going, and the dates.  Preferably if it mentions the professor’s name, email, and the classes you are enrroled in, but if it doesn’t DO NOT FREAK OUT.

5) A copy of your passport (The part with your name, address and etc)

6) A copy of your employment card (The RED CARD)

7) Two passport pictures

8) Your l-797 notice for your l-821D (The fancy looking paper that you received when you got your DACA accepted) If you already renewed send your renewal l-797 notice NOT the initial DACA one! (I have a copy attached so you can see how it looks like)

9) A money order or check of $360 to U.S Department of Homeland Security

10) A memo or letter that states who are you, where are you going, what are you doing, and why you are going.  An example below, please click the link.

The G-1145 must be on the top! So they can see it first. YOU ARE SET! Send it with a big yellow envelope to:

P.O. Box 5757
Chicago, IL 60680-5757


When you get to the post office please send it as certified mail (is safer)

Good Luck Friends!!


9 thoughts on “Instructions for Advance Parole (EDIT)

  1. Hello Karla,

    This is very interesting and motivational. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I was wondering if you know about adjusting your status once you have re-entered the country with inspection. Do you know anything about this?


    1. Yes, for AOS (adjustment of status) you must talk to an attorney because it all depends on each individual’s case. However, genrally if you have no criminal record or some type of issue with immigration and have an initial illegal entry to the country and how exit the U.S. with Advance Parole and return successfully, it will pontentially be a beneficial move for you. What happens is that the illegal entry is overshadowed by the legal entry with advance parole and the 10 year ban may be potentially removed.
      HOWEVER, this only applies to people married to a United States resident or a family member, so if you are undocumented and you do not have someone to petition you, you can get advance parole and go out and in of the country but there is NO WAY of adjusting status.

      If you do, consult a reputable and known attorney in your area, NO NOTARIES. I repeat no NOTARIES if you live around the Los Angeles area I may refer you to some that are famous, cheap, and part of the immigration movement that will not scam you. If you do not, contact a immigrant rights organization or support group to help you with contacting a reliable attorney.

      Good luck,


  2. hi, karla im inspired by your story wish that many of us were as brave and open minded to do thing like you do. well my question is if im applying for advance parole for a humanitarian purpose what exactly does the letter from the doctor has to say does the doctor has to include my name in the letter notifyng that my sick relative needs to see me before anything bad happens do i need a medical record that my family member is sick or has been sick? thanks for you help good luck

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Hello Julio! Please read the instructions here on the blog or my facebook page called undocutravelers for instructions on how to apply for AP for education, humanitarian or work purposes.

      The letter may indicate your relative’s name, age, and his/hers medical ailments. If it is just old age the letter may indicate that the person is very old and can cross any minute. Your name doesn’t need to be included by if the doctor can do that for you that will be nice too 🙂 to make it seem more official it will be nice if the doctor states where she or he work and their name and signature, or they can use an official seal.


  3. Hi! I just found your blog today and I love it! Thank you for sharing your experiences with us!
    I just have a couple of questions:
    1. Did you apply for your AP alone or with a lawyer?
    2. I have a pending business trip in December but the dates are not set yet. Do you know if they will still approve the AP without specific dates?

    Please let me know.

    Thank you!


    1. I did it alone, as you stated on previous posts…

      It is recommended to have a window of time. If you do not know the specific dates then estimate a number of months. Also ifnyour trip is this December then it might be a little too late to apply since USCIS recommends applying at least 4-5 months before intended departure date. Also USCIS is taking longer to approve AP an average of 3-months…


  4. Thank you for this blog! It has been so helpful. I am enjoying your posts and learning so much. It has given me peace of mind. My daughter’s fiance applied for AP through an attorney recently but the attorney did not inform him about the length of time it requires to get the approval. The attorney discussed the letter and dates, but didn’t warn him of the certain delay until days before the scheduled trip. They had to cancel flights and arrangements and were frustrated. I feel like we have a better understanding now. Maybe we will help him apply on his own.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s